Thursday, January 6, 2011

the Cure, born in the UK







A drizzly damp, cold, gray London day. The perfect place for when all you really want to do it take a searingly hot bath with an silly book(read:the Extra Man by Jonathan Ames)and drink tons of tea-there are actually billboards here touting- TEA! YOU NEED IT!
Tea in the UK is a religion not unlike coffee in Seattle. For most Londoners I have found they take it sweet and white(sugar and cream) and with any chance a biscuit. (Biscuits are animal cookies except larger and flat). I finally folded, and bought a french press for making coffee since it is also quite common to have freeze-dried instant on hand in the house I am staying at. Thank you, really thank you, but NO. Biscuits on the other hand? Yes! They come in about a thousand different types and flavors and it is perfectly acceptable for a grown woman to eat a biscuit(or 3) with her tea or coffee, where as in Seattle eating 3 cookies with your coffee would seem a tad, well, indulgent?
I digress. On this cold rainy day, I made a bit of coffee, went out and rode the bus-sitting in the upper deck in front-I rode around dry and caffeinated and saw some rather pretty buildings and just got a little lay of the land. In Paris I take the metro for efficiency and miss all the sites, may have to seriously rethink my priorities...
So now, I am back at Jone's flat and have made some lentil soup, and will take that scorching bath while I practice my French vocabulary. After that, it may be round two for coffee and biscuits. :)

1 comment:

  1. Dawn, big news on the Paris coffee front?

    http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/ristretto-paris-coffee-improving-sort-of/?hpw

    ReplyDelete